“Kummerspeck bringing the soundtrack for a new revolution, done in raucous Topanga style.
Continuing the tradition of all-star bands forming for fundraising purposes, it was Topanga Elementary’s 2015 Spring Fundraiser that brought together the musical mash-up of Topanga dads and moms known as Kummerspeck (German slang for stress-induced weight gain, or literally “grief bacon”). When Kummerspeck formed, this veritable casserole of musical talents and styles had one thing in common – ensuring that Topanga Elementary had a successful – and fabulously fun – fundraiser at Topanga’s own Froggy’s last May of 2015. But despite declaring that their final gig, they were called back into action to power the TCC Halloween fun fest two years in a row, pay tribute to the musical majesty of the über-talented David Bowie <x-apple-data-detectors://0> at last year’s Topanga Days, and now, they bring their revolution rock just in time to lift and move bodies, minds, and souls.
This disparate group of ax slingers and percussion pounders includes:
• Bernie Penzias – award winning producer/engineer/composer/multi instrumentalist, nominated for the Austrian “Grammy” (The Amadeus Award) and proud carrier of some “Kummerspeck”.
• John Albert – the bass master behind the Johnny Blue Trio, Bonnie Murray Tamblyn & Blue Heaven,
• Kevin Jarvis – drummer/engineer/producer from Sonic Boom Room Studios who’s recorded and drummed with Brian Wilson, Grant Lee Phillips , Iggy Pop, Donovan, Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, and Bo Diddley.
The boys in the band will be joined for this very special performance by a quartet of talented local singers:
• Giovanny Blanco – vivacious vocalist with The Holy Broken and Revolver.
• Antonia Bath – super-powered songstress with Elvez, and veteran of venues as diverse as the Troubadour and Geffen Playhouse.
• Stacie Burrows – musical miscreant and fabulous funny lady in the wickedly witty Mommy Tonk.
• Patrick O’Connor – a high spirited bon vivant with a fine head of hair.”